Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Massive Attack under investigation for displaying Palestinian flag at Singapore show

Massive Attack under investigation for displaying Palestinian flag at Singapore show

Massive Attack are currently under investigation for displaying a Palestinian flag at their recent live show in Singapore.

The moment occurred during the trip-hop duo’s concert at The Star Theatre on Wednesday (July 29), per The Straits Times.

According to the publication, the local authorities have since launched an ongoing probe. The Infocomm Media Development Authority also reportedly said it was investigating a possible breach of licence conditions.

Lushington, the date’s promoter, confirmed that it had been made aware of the reports about the performance.

“We will fully cooperate with the relevant authorities as required,” it explained, adding that the show in question was the only one scheduled stop in Singapore on the band’s current run.

Footage circulating on social media shows two members of the group holding a Palestinian flag up on stage as the crowd cheers.

Police investigations ongoing after UK band Massive Attack shows support for Palestinians at Singapore concert
byu/FirstLightOfTheDay insingapore

An attendee told CNA that Massive Attack shouted “Free Palestine” at the concert, prompting numerous audience members to join in with the chant.

Singapore does not allow the public display of foreign national emblems without a permit or exemption. Offenders could face a fine of up to S$500 (£372), a maximum of six months in jail, or both.

The band reportedly told the crowd that they had removed a song from their setlist in Singapore to comply with “local laws”. However, they did not reveal the name of the track in question.

He was carried away from the demonstration by police and arrested on suspicion of showing support for a proscribed organisation, and later addressed the situation in a lengthy statement shared to Instagram.

Massive Attack live in Liverpool, 2024. Credit: Unit 3 Films

“On the topic of madness,” he wrote, “in Britain in 2026, you can be arrested under the Terrorism Act for sitting in silence, holding a cardboard sign stating that you oppose genocide & support non-violent action to prevent it.”

In February, Massive Attack responded to the ban on Palestine Action being deemed unlawful by the High Court. They said that then-Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s government “wanted to punish those who made their complicity in a genocide visible”, and had “confected an authoritarian law to retaliate against peaceful citizens holding signs”.

Last summer, they joined Primal Scream in condemning the government for allowing the arrest of “peaceful citizens” at a Palestine Action demonstration in London.

The band also backed the No Music For Genocide campaign, and later added that they would be fully boycotting Spotify.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

News

Tributes have been paid as police confirm that the woman who died at Houghton Festival in Norfolk was Ibiza DJ Santanna Oush. Earlier this...

News

Jamie T has announced a new album, ‘Ghosts (100 Days of Morning)’. Check out the lead single ‘3310’ below. The new record is set...

News

Chase & Status joined Skrillex during his headline set at Boomtown 2026 this weekend – watch footage below. The US producer closed out the festival’s Hydro XL...

News

John Summit announced on Monday (Aug. 17) that he’s canceling his remaining August shows, a decision that takes the producer off the lineups for...