Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Ex-FIFTY FIFTY members address decision to work with ‘Cupid’ producer Ahn Sung-il

Former FIFTY FIFTY members Aran, Sio and Saena have addressed their controversial decision to reunite with ‘Cupid’ producer Ahn Sung-il.

  • READ MORE: G-Dragon – ‘Übermensch’ review: the king of K-pop returns triumphant

Both the former FIFTY FIFTY members and their current label Massive E&C published new statements on February 27 addressing the decision to work with Ahn Sung-il, CEO of The Givers and producer of the band’s viral hit ‘Cupid’, on the trio’s upcoming redebut as ablume.

Massive E&C first announced Ahn’s involvement in preparations for ablume’s debut on February 26, saying that the members personally requested to work with him on new music. Notably, Ahn was previously accused by FIFTY FIFTY’s label Attrakt of trying to “poach” the members in 2023, following the success of ‘Cupid’.

In a new statement, the three K-pop idols explained that after their contracts with Attrakt were terminated in 2023, they had “spent a long time in isolation, feeling lost and unsure of how to move forward”. They later signed withMassive E&C, who they said “truly understand our situation and supported us with warmth and care”.

“As we discussed our future, we realised that the most important thing was staying true to the messages we wanted to share through our music,” they said. “Our company fully supported this, and after much thought, we decided to reach out to [Ahn Sung-il], someone who understands us better than anyone and has helped us create some of our most meaningful work.”

Sio, Saena and Aran added that despite “many things [being] said publicly that do not reflect the truth, we are working hard to set the record straight. But please know there is nothing to be concerned about”.

The trio also briefly touched on their ongoing legal battle with Attrakt: “While we cannot share all the details about the legal matters just yet, our company knows the full truth and is standing by us every step of the way.”

On the same day, Massive E&C also claimed in a statement that Attrakt’s allegations against Ahn “differ from public reports, with some details misinterpreted or inaccurately conveyed”. As a result, Sio, Saena and Aran “requested a direct conversation with [the producer], after which key facts were verified”.

“Before launching into official promotions, the members engaged in thorough discussions to prioritise their musical direction and artistic quality,” the company added. “They highly valued his achievements and expertise in the global music industry, and out of respect for their artistic vision, we carefully considered this decision before choosing to work together.”

In June 2023, the original four members of FIFTY FIFTY filed to suspend their exclusive contracts with Attrakt, which was later denied by a Seoul court. While all members initially appealed the decision, member Keena later withdrew her appeal and returned to the agency.

After a months-long legal battle, the agency terminated its contracts with Saena, Sio and Aran. Last November, Attrakt announced that FIFTY FIFTY would be re-organised with a new line-up centred around Keena. The band would later return with four new members and a mini-album titled ‘Love Tune’.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

News

The 2025 Weverse Con Festival has announced the first batch of artists on the line-up, featuring the likes of TWS, P1Harmony, FIFTY FIFTY and...

News

All five members of K-pop girl group ARTMS have renewed their exclusive contracts with label, Modhaus. READ MORE: Yeji on going solo: “All the experiences...

News

SEVENTEEN have announced the upcoming release of a new full-length album, which will be in celebration of their 10th anniversary this May. READ MORE: LE...

News

GOT7 singer JAY B has announced the US leg of his 2025 ‘Tape: Re Load’ US tour, featuring concerts in Houston, San Francisco and...