Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Andrew Watt defends The Rolling Stones’ ‘Best Rock Album’ win at Grammys 2025

Producer Andrew Watt has defended The Rolling Stones winning Best Rock Album at the Grammys earlier this month for their 2023 LP ‘Hackney Diamonds’.

The legendary rockers beat Green Day, IDLES, Fontaines D.C and Jack White with their comeback album, their first full-length for 18 years and their first since the death of drummer Charlie Watts.

However, some claimed their win was the result of their rich musical legacy as opposed to the quality of the album itself, and as such felt the other artists nominated were “robbed”.

But Watt, who produced the album, has now argued that the songwriting still made the Stones worthy of the Grammy.

“They are in their 80s, They’re 82 and 83 years-old. Tell me another band ever in history that has made a latter-day album that good in their 80s, with that level of songwriting, that level of performance?” Watt said in an interview with Rolling Stone’s Music Now podcast.

Watt accepted the award on the band’s behalf during the ceremony. “Talked to Mick [Jagger] yesterday and he just wanted to say a big thank you to the Academy from the entire band. For a little boy that grew up playing guitar, it was one of the most amazing experiences to be around those musicians,” he said at the time.

Reviewing the record, NME awarded ‘Hackney Diamonds’ four stars and said “the rock legends’ first album of original material in almost two decades” was “an absolute barnstormer”.

In other news, it was reported late last month that the Stones had scrapped their plans to tour across the UK and Europe in 2025.

According to various reports from outlets including The Times, the iconic group opted against a return to touring later this year. This reportedly came following a proposed multi-million pound stop at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium being rejected, amid other shows across Europe.

The outlets state that the band’s remaining members, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood, were presented with multiple-date options for shows in 2025, but these were soon dismissed due to complications around suitable venues, travel and pre-existing commitments.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

News

Bruce Springsteen has paid tribute to Jo DePugh, the New Jersey pitcher who inspired his 1984 hit ‘Glory Days’. READ MORE: Bruce Springsteen live in...

News

Sleep Token have confirmed that they will be releasing a new single, ‘Caramel’, on Friday (April 4). The masked band have been gearing up...

News

Muse have postponed their upcoming gig in Istanbul following the ongoing boycott of DBL Entertainment. The band made a post on X/Twitter at the...

News

John Lydon has hit out at the Sex Pistols’ reunion again, saying he will never rejoin the band. READ MORE: Sex Pistols’ Steve Jones tells us about...