Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

A Second Mexican City Says Fyre Fest 2 Isn’t Happening There

Fyre Fest 2 already looks like it might be as fake as the first edition. On Thursday, the tourist town of Playa Del Carmen in Mexico denied that the Billy McFarland-planned fest is happening there, just weeks after the tourist board of Isla Mujeres also said the event “does not exist.”

“Neither this event nor any event with its name will occur in our city,” Quintana Roo’s government shared in a statement. “After looking over the information around the situation, we can confirm that there have been no registrations, planning, or conditions to indicate that this will happen in our municipality.”

The press release from Playa Del Carmen comes after McFarland, the convicted fraudster behind the first Fyre Festival, claimed in a press conference that their event was set to take place there. “Our relationships with Playa may be new, but I know I speak for the rest of the team when I say we couldn’t ask for a better group of people,” he said at the time, speaking alongside the founder of the Martina Beach Club in the city, according to NBC News.

Previously, McFarland had claimed that Fyre Fest would come to Isla Mujeres in Mexico, but the tourist board in that town denied its existence. “We do not know of this event, nor have contact with any person or company about it,” Edgar Gasca of the city’s tourist department told The Guardian in early March. “For us, this is an event that does not exist.”

McFarland shared ticket details for the event in late February, allegedly scheduled for May 30 to June 2, with pricing starting at $1,400. “I’m sure many people think I’m crazy for doing this again,” McFarland said at the time. “But I feel I’d be crazy not to do it again. After years of reflection and now thoughtful planning, the new team and I have amazing plans for Fyre 2.”

Trending Stories

Earlier this week, McFarland shared an Instagram video claiming that the event had 1,800 confirmed guests and that its lineup would feature rappers, DJs, pilots, creators, and athletes, but never shared who would actually be attending.

McFarland previously pleaded guilty to fraud charges related to the disastrous first Fyre Festival and was released from prison in 2022 after serving a little less than four years.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

News

Fyre Fest founder Billy McFarland is pushing back after Mexican government officials poured cold water on his plans to resuscitate his flailing Fyre Fest...

News

The U.S. Department of State revoked the travel visa of a Mexican band that was set to tour the U.S. this month after they...

News

Legendary regional Mexican group Banda El Recodo is gearing up for the release of their new album, En Vivo Desde Japón (Live from Japan)....

News

UPDATE (MARCH 31): After concluding her historic residency in Mexico on Sunday (March 30) with her last of seven concerts at the GNP Seguros Stadium...