Officials for the Mexican city of Playa Del Carmen have denied claims that it is to host Fyre Festival 2 later this year.
The festival and its founder Billy McFarland had previously announced that it was making its “return” from May 30 to June 2 this year at Isla Mujeres, Mexico. However, those plans later changed, after the Isla Mujeres tourist board said: “We have no knowledge of this event, nor contact with any person or company about it. For us, this is an event that does not exist.”
Last month, McFarland named Playa Del Carmen as the new location, but it appears that once again the news has come as a surprise to the local authorities.
On Thursday (April 3), the government of the Southern Mexican city shared a statement on X which translated from Spanish reads (via Today): “In light of rumours about an event called ‘Fyre 2’, we inform you that no event with that name will be held in Playa del Carmen. After a responsible review, there is no registration or planning in the municipality.”
#ComunicadoOficial || En Playa del Carmen no se realizará ningún evento llamado “Fyre 2”.
No existe registro ni planificación.
Este gobierno prioriza el orden, la seguridad y la verdad.
Sigue nuestros canales oficiales.#PlayaDelCarmen #GobiernoConResponsabilidad pic.twitter.com/JN2AUnI64x— Ayuntamiento de Playa del Carmen (@GobPDC) April 3, 2025
McFarland hosted a press conference on March 28 to “announce” Playa Del Carmen as their new venue. He said: “Our relationships with Playa may be new, but I know I speak for the rest of the team when I say we couldn’t ask for a better group of people.”
Tickets have been sold for Fyre Festival 2 and prices range from $1,400 to $25,000 (£1,081-£19,305). Premium packages are being priced as high as $1.1million (£850,000).
It has billed itself as a “three-day escape to the Mexican Caribbean where you’ll explore by day alongside your favourite talent and come together at night to celebrate with music”. Fyre Festival 2 also claims that it will feature “adventures led by international and local talent, taking guests on boundary-pushing excursions by day and uniting for intimate beach-side performances at night”.
As for the musical acts set to play at the alleged Fyre Festival 2, no talent has been announced yet. The original Fyre Festival in 2017 was reportedly set to include performances from Blink-182, Major Lazer, Disclosure, Migos, Pusha T, Tyga and more.
First developed by McFarland eight years ago, the botched festival Fyre Fest was originally set to run over two weekends on a private beach in the Bahamas but was revealed to be fraudulent once punters arrived on the scene, with inadequate conditions and a lack of food and water. The debacle was then captured in the now-iconic Netflix documentary FYRE.
McFarland was released from prison in 2022 after he pleaded guilty to multiple counts of fraud.