Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Tupac Shakur murder suspect says past comments were “entertainment”, asks to house arrest

The man charged with murder in the killing of Tupac Shakur has claimed that his past comments regarding the shooting were simply “entertainment”.

Duane “Keffe D” Davis, 60, was charged with the murder of the legendary hip-hop artist this September – 27 years after Shakur was fatally wounded from a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas.

  • READ MORE: Who killed Tupac? Everything we know about hip-hop’s greatest mystery

A Nevada judge set a June 3, 2024 date for the trial last month. It came shortly after Davis pleaded not guilty to the charge of open murder with use of a deadly weapon with a gang enhancement.

As The Guardian reports, Davis – who has been denied bail since he was first arrested – has asked a judge to put him on house arrest ahead of his trial. His legal representatives are also requesting that the court establish a “reasonable bail”.

“Duane should not be denied bail in this case. It cannot be said that the proof is evident and the presumption great that Duane is guilty of first-degree murder for the death of Shakur,” the motion reads (via Rolling Stone).

“This Court should release Duane on house arrest with electronic monitoring pending trial.”

A January 2 hearing date was set this week regarding Davis’ bid to be released on no more than $100,000 bail.

The bail request is on the basis that an “astounding amount of hearsay and speculative testimony” emerged during grand jury proceedings.

Duane “Keffe D” Davis arrives for a court appearance on October 19, 2023 in Las Vegas, Nevada. CREDIT: John Locher-Pool/Getty

The lawyers pushed back on state reliance on excerpts from Davis’ 2019 memoir Compton Street Legend. They claimed that the former gangster-turned-author’s comments in the book were nothing more than “entertainment”.

“The truthfulness of the content of the interviews was never verified. The book and interviews were done for entertainment purposes and to make money from a situation that [Greg] Kading and others had already profited from,” Davis’ lawyers wrote.

Additionally, they maintained that Davis had “moved on from his old lifestyle”. The document said that the suspect was protected by a 2008 agreement with the FBI and Los Angeles police that gave him immunity from prosecution in Shakur’s killing.

The tell-all Compton Street Legend sees Davis describe orchestrating the drive-by shooting that resulted in Shakur’s death and wounded Death Row Records co-founder Suge Knight in September 1996.

The legal representatives also cited Davis’ health as one of the reasons for their bail request. They claimed that their client is not receiving sufficient medical attention in jail after having colon cancer, which they said is now in remission.

“He is not getting his bi-monthly oncologist check-ups. Additionally, his heart health has declined,” the lawyers said. “He was put back on a group of medications to try to get things under control.

“He has to take these medications in the jail because he is unable to do the things necessary to maintain proper health. His diet in jail is terrible. He is given heavily-processed meals full of sodium that barely pass as food.”

Davis, a former member of the gang Compton Crips, is the uncle of the late Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson who’d previously been identified as a suspect in Shakur’s murder but was never charged with any crimes. Anderson was killed in a shooting in 1998.

Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty for Davis, who is the only surviving suspect in the case. However, he could face the rest of his life behind bars if convicted.

In other news, a bus driver and musician recently filed a lawsuit claiming that he has not been properly credited or paid for his work on Tupac‘s song ‘Dear Mama’.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

News

Charli XCX and her bratty eye rolls can never be tamed. On Thursday, the British pop star released the video for “Von Dutch,” the...

News

Kanye West’s short but lucrative five-show run of listening parties for his Vultures 1 album with Ty Dolla $ign generated more than $12 million...

News

Kings Of Leon‘s Caleb Followill has revealed that he feels “completely fulfilled” by the band’s forthcoming album ‘Can We Please Have Fun’. READ MORE: The NME Big...

News

Shakira will return with her first album in seven years, Las Mujeres Ya No Lloran, on March 22 — and she’s bringing company. The...